Saturday 19 March 2011

Why Tee Auster Relays

First of all, my Mother died of ovarian cancer. It came out of nowhere. In addition to the cancer she died in surgery of a heart attack and stroke. She was my best friend and it was the hardest lost I’ve ever taken.

I am in a leadership position in Education. What is one of the first things a person does when they or their family member has a life threatening diagnosis? They go and tell their boss. I can tell the the look.  I have closed my door and cried endless tears with colleagues I know very well or hardly know at all. I have lived and am living through the disease with those in my organization….and every time it goes back to the feelings I experienced with the loss of my mother.

You need to know, not everyone can do this work. Yes, it is a celebration of life, survivors and caregivers  but for many involved in the process for themselves or others, it is too new, too fresh. This is the compassionate aspect of the work that we do in SL and in RL. Be mindful of this.

Last Spring, I lost my adopted father to lung cancer on my RL Birthday. Once again it came out nowhere. It was so hard on my family…too new, too fresh. The one year anniversary will be on Easter this year and it will be bittersweet.

For me Relay For Life is a practice of compassion in action. I am very proud to be on the Harmony of Hope Team, the greatest team in SL!!!! This year I am also a Co Captain in RL. Go Relay!!!! Go Harmony of Hope!!! We can make a difference!!!


Tee Auster
Care Giver - Fighter - Member of Team Harmony of Hope-SL-ACS-RFL
                                     (¯`v´¯)
                       *:-.,_,.-:*'´ `*.¸.*´`'*:-.,_,.-:*

                                  GO RELAY!!! 

No comments: