Friday 18 March 2011

My day of sorrow and celebrations

I woke this morning like most others, but some how this day was different.

Today was March 18th 2011. A day I knew I had to stand and walk with a dear real life friend, as we held her mom's funeral.

Anna was laid to rest today in a beautiful celebration of her life today. She was a simple woman, quite ordinary by most peoples definition, but don't you dare say that to her 3 children, grandson and extended family. She was special. She believed in family, and like all mothers sacrificed a good deal, to make sure her family did right by her, and believe me, they have.

Her oldest son gave a commemoration that was filled with love and laughter from being raised by this person. I was amazed he manage to get through it all without breaking down. (He nearly did) And if that wasn't enough his son, Anna's grandson, followed his dad in sharing his close relationship with his gramma.

He said something that still resonating in me. You know the old saying: "You can pick you friends,..."?

Well he realized this week, that, that's not entirely true. By this statement he said, "At some point in some teen life, people choose their friends and slowly drift away from family. They start hanging around with friend more than family, and as live moves on and life gets busier, leaving less time for family". "But not me" he said emphatically! "I choose my family!" He doesn't remember how, when and were he made this choice, he just realized this week he rather hang with with dad, spend time with gramma, go party with his auntie, and more.

He also shared a story from when he was very young. Being from a typical working family, when the kids were sick, there was gramma to look after them, while the parent when off to work. Gramma would wait on him hand and foot, make him anything he wanted to eat. And she was a great cook. Gramma being an avid dancer, would dance with him in the living room. Standing on her feet and holding on for dear life, around and around we went. "Those were wonderful days I will cherish until the end of my days" he said sobbingly.

Anna's last few years, were not good ones. Diagnosed with colon cancer 3 years ago, all the while succumbing to Alzheimers, her family rallied around her and fought these with her though it all. In the end, it was to much for this 76 year old darling of a woman to fight.

She will me missed, but not forgotten, by all that knew her.

Rest in Peace Grandma Anna.

No comments: