Monday 7 March 2011

The tears of angels, Jennifer's adventure so far,...

I am 50 years old in real life. I'm a cancer "caregiver" which is defined as someone who has supported someone whom is a cancer "survivor", defined as someone who has been told they have cancer. My father successfully beat his fight 20 years ago and is still here with me today. However, I also have lost family and friends to this beast, along the way.

I was rez'd in Second Life, back in December 2009 and was friended by a warm and wonderful person and sim owner, took me in, who showed me the wonders of SL. I soon found a position as hostess for a small club, were I host parties every Saturday mornings.

She introduced me to another amazing person named Jade Marenwolf (RIP my angel) who taught me how to face life head on. When she told me about her RL situation and her fight with Inflammatory Breast Cancer, I told her I would do what I could and asked my club members, to pray for her, and to send her their strength, to her, for her fight for life. In so doing, I was touched and friended by another beautiful angel, whom is in a fight of her own. Her strength and resolve, tugged at my heart strings some more.

These individuals and several others opened my eyes to some of the struggles, people in SL are facing in their real life, and I began to look around SL for help and solutions. I found a group called "Project Hope" who has created a place and association with other sim's with similar goals to bring people together for the simple reason of mutual support, understanding and healing from life's struggles.

Through this group, I found many more, wonderful places and people, with similar goals for their fellow person. One of these places was A Woman's  Touch. Through AWT, found another lovely angel, who introduced me to the Relay for Life in Second Life.

I was so impressed with their mandate; I had to join the effort and volunteered to be a member of RFL Harmony of Hope. Within the first moments of the first meeting last weekend, was ask to undertake the role of Social Media promoter for the group and attacked this with all my resources and abilities. I guess my group leader was so impressed with my abilities and drive, asked me to join and work with the PR/Marketing group of the Relay for Life team, which is where I stand today.

Looking back at how I got to where I am, I see a clear lineage of people and places, to numerous to list, that shaped my virtual world and change me in my real life. I truly believe Jade is watching down on me, and I hope to do good by her.

I do this for all my dear friends in RL and in SL. I do this for people I do not know and who are all fighting this demon of life called Cancer. I do this because I can.

We all know one person can make a difference.

In numbers, this force is unstoppable.

Join me in Relay for Life in Second Life.

Join me in Relay for Life in the real world.

Together, WE WILL make a difference.

Jennifer Curtau

1 comment:

Random said...

I loved that Jen! Thank you for sharing it and putting into words that which we all feel and play a part of. I know you will do fantastic work in promoting Relay and look forward to a GREAT Relay season!!
Random Padar Capt of Harmony of Hope