Tuesday 1 March 2011

Why Pink Relays

I am a two-time survivor of cancer.

People assume this is the reason I relay. It is not the only reason.

I relay because I remember Patricia O'Hara, a fiest, 5'1" tall, irish woman in her late 50s sitting across from me as we got our chemo treatments. Pat... old-fashioned catholic irish with two grown kids, sat there and told me to fight this. We both were diagnosed with the same cancer, both getting the same treatments, only she was loosing her third battle with it. This was during my first battle that i sat across from this woman that had a life, kids, a home, a job, friends, and family.

I relay because of Pat, and for Dawnlee Gamboa who lost her battle on 7 Febuary, 2011. Dawnlee was an SL player, a member of the Spirit nations sim, and a fighter.

I asked Dawnlee's permission just hours before she passed, to have the honor of carrying her name in the Survivors' Walk on Relay day. I am honored and proud to say she gave me that gift, before she left us to carry on the fight.

 Dawnlee was 6 years younger than I am right now. She died from Pancreatic Cancer, and her family was with her on that day. Please send your thoughts and prayers to her family in Chicago, Illinois, so they may find the courage to carry on in her stead.

There are thousands upon thousands of reasons to relay... and thousands of excuses not to... you only need one reason to pull on your walking shoes and step out your door... choose one, and come Relay for Life with Me and the other survivors that need you so desperately.

For all those that stand beside me in the Survivors' Walk, for all those that came before us, and will come after us... Thank you.

Pink Charlesworth 
Surivor - Fighter - Member of Team Harmony of Hope-SL-ACS-RFL
                                     (¯`v´¯)
                       *:-.,_,.-:*'´ `*.¸.*´`'*:-.,_,.-:*

                                  GO RELAY!!!

No comments: