Friday 1 June 2012

WHY I RELAY by Dianna Wycliffe



   
   When I was a little girl, my grandmother got cancer. I heard the words, but  I didn't know what it meant. The adults whispered around us kids. All I knew was my Nana was very sick, and soon after she died. I knew Cancer was bad, Cancer kills and it took my Nana from me. 


   A few years later, my uncle got very sick and died, I told my younger cousin, it's cancer, it took our Nana too. She cried for her Daddy and I cried for my Uncle. Still not knowing what it meant.


   Several more years later my other uncle was diagnosed with Leukemia, what's that I asked as a teenager. I was told, it too is cancer. Cancer was wiping out my family! I had to know more and do something! But what I asked myself.


   When I was 23 my beloved grandfather was also diagnosed with Cancer, from a job he worked at when my mother was a little girl. AGAIN, here comes cancer!  It was 1990, what could I do? 


   Today, I'm 45 and lost my mother April 4th of cancer. I relay for my Mom, My grandparents, my Uncles, I relay for my children, I relay for myself, I relay for YOU! I relay so a little girl doesn't have to grow up with that word stuck in her head while her family dies from it, 


IT'S TIME FOR A CURE! 
LETS BEAT IT, IT WE CAN DO IT!


Dianna is the 2012 Co Captain of Harmony Of Hope

No comments: