Thursday 7 April 2011

Musing of my 1st month doing RFLinSL

I have to say, doing Relay For Life in Second Life has been an incredible experience. And when I think back to everything I've done and everyone I've met, I'm floored it's only been a month since joining Harmony of Hope.

Many people describe Second Life as path or journey, well as you may have read in earlier post here, it was Pink Charlesworth that opened my eyes, helped me hear and gave me fight, for what I know is my calling on my journey into Second Life.

From my first meeting with the team I offered myself to them and became their Social Media person. My goal was to promote the team and RFLinSL by by creating Twitter, Facebook pages and blogging our efforts. Having never done this before, I followed and devoured all the group notices, attended meeting of other teams, and attempted to make contacts with other Social Media people doing the same to learn from them.

Didn't take me long to find Poppy Zabelin who is the PR/Marketing Area Chair 2011 at Relay For Life in Second Life and strike up a friendship. Can't remember exactly when but early on she invited me to join the PR/Marketing group of the main Relay For Life in Second Life team in helping them with their efforts. I remember feeling and I still am feeling incredibly honored to be given this opportunity to be part of something that is larger then any one of us. But it didn't stop there. Just last week Skylar Smythe was chosen as the Co-Chair of the PR/Marketing group and I quickly said a congratulatory hello. Well it turns out she lives an hour down the road in the real world. Small world!!


Right from the launch weekend, and the opening celebrations of this year Season of Hope, and our teams first party I gave it my all. I dopped off RFL event boards and RFL Kiosk everywhere i could, I Challenge the gathering for our Mardi Gras party on openeing day. My challenge is I would go without hair and my neko tail for a week and managed to get close to $8,000L for it. As it turned out it was mostly due to contributions from my dearest SL brother and friend Agent Engel. What an awesome person he is.


Right from the start I knew I would try to hold my own RFL events, and by chance, I saw a wonderful documentary about Canadian Rock and Roll history in the 60's and thought that make a wonderful party. Since I've been hosting Saturday morning dance party at a small club called The Star Cove since early last year, I had made lots of friend whom DJ in SL and I brought my idea to them, which they loved. I also wanted to take my events on the road by having them held at some of the wonderful clubs I found on my journey, one of which was Harlow's. So two Sundays ago, Sue Mowadeng a fabulous DJ and friend and I, held a formal dance there, and we managed to raise a modest $5,000 linden. I remember how nervous I was leading up to it, even after doing a year's worth of parties at my club. Megan would like us back for another and I felt great.

Last week was a wash of real life with moving and stuff, but once settled I'm back at it. While chilling at my home sim at A Woman's Touch, Sue bugs me again, about this Canadian Rock and Roll idea, I ask Ashra Lang the owner of AWT is she would like to host an RFL event we quickly hatch a plan for this coming weekend. While hatching this plan Pink passes me a note, that another club would like to host our team. Azure is a jazz and music club with live bands. Oh Kewl. Gonna need help on this one from the team.

Jumping back again to the begin, I knew to promote out team with Social media I had had to cover many RFL events and not just our team. We are all one big team after all. I covered all the big RFL events, including the awesomely successful Fashion of Hope and equally awesome Fantasy Faire events in the same light as the opening celebrations. In all three of these, I was stunned at the sim designs. BOSL Stadium was incredible. The monochrome sim of the Fashion for Life sim was fantastic, and the Fantasy Faire sim magical. And Thanks to Nevar LoboI received an advanced peek to the Fantasy sims. 


And yesterday, Poppy expressed her wishes for me to take on more PR/Marketing roles via blogging for their sites, wanted me to cover the Alphabet Soup Challenge's trophy ceremonies. Another chance to spread my wings again. I know I've missed a million details in telling this story, needless to say, I am having the time of my life, all in the name of Relay For Life, and that has given me an incredible boost in my real life, the life of the typist, of the avatar known, as Jennifer Curtau.



No comments: